I have been in love with this dress from Anthropologie since I saw it online, but with a price tag of $268 it was WAY out of my budget. It’s week 3 of Refashion Runway and this week’s challenge is copying something from a catalog or celebrity, and it totally inspired me to try to recreate it.
Finding a base dress was way harder than I expected it to be (it’s always harder when you’re looking for something specific). After what felt like a lifetime of searching I found this too big, and sleeved (but white) dress on clearance. Unfortunately, in what can only be referred to as ‘The memory card incident of 2013’ the photos of me wearing the dress before have been lost, but thankfully I took a photo of it on my dress form (albeit, inside out – sorry everyone), just before starting the project.
What I did to the dress:
Took it in on the sides
Removed the sleeves
Brought the neckline up
I went to the craft store to purchase ribbon for the project, but it didn’t come in any of the right colors. I decided to purchase plain ribbon and paint, figuring I would just pain the ribbon the correct colors (or at least try to come close to the right colors)
Getting the ribbon on and spaced evenly was the most difficult part, I’m pretty sure I pinned it on and took it off 12 times before deciding on where exactly it should go. The bottom chevron detail was also challenging, to ensure the zig zags were spaced evenly I first pinned my measuring tape around the bottom of the dress. I pinned every 3″ all the way around.
Getting the ribbon straight and even was definitely easier said than done, it seemed like every time I pinned it on and tried it on, it would look so much different! I had to have my roommate put the dress on so I could really get things pinned on straight (thanks Holls!)
Though challenging, I was able to complete the dress for $37, which is $231 less than the Anthro version! It’s not an exact replica, but I’m happy with how it turned out and can’t wait to wear it to a fourth of July party in a couple of weeks!